Off-Campus Programs

Language Study Abroad (LSA) and Foreign Study Programs (FSP)

Dartmouth College sponsors over 40 off-campus programs, including language and academic study abroad. Over half of all Dartmouth students participate in at least one off-campus program. Students receiving need-based financial aid will pay the same net price for a term in Hanover or a term anywhere else in the world.

The Off-Campus Programs Office determines the cost of each of the programs. The cost of most programs exceeds the cost of a term spent on campus due to increased travel and living/food costs. Students who receive need-based financial aid will receive scholarship assistance to cover costs in excess of those of a typical term, and their expected family contribution (EFC) will remain the same as a term here on Campus. If you have a work expectation for the term, this will be replaced by scholarship funding for programs that span the entire term.  We do not replace work expectations for our fall plus programs as students are in Hanover for the 10 week term and remain eligible to work. 

If needed, students often have loan eligibility they can use to reduce or replace their EFC for the term abroad, just like if they were here on Campus.

Here is an example:

The total cost, including billable and non-billable items at Dartmouth is about $29,000. Let's say the total cost for the term abroad is about $30,500, due to increased travel and living costs. Your total scholarship award would increase by $1,500, which is the difference in the total cost between a term here in Hanover, and the term abroad. Actual costs will vary by program. You can view the estimated budget for each program on the The Frank J. Guarini Institute for International Education website.

Tuition is usually the same for an off-campus program as it is for a term on-campus, however, billed costs from the College will be lower for programs that require room and/or board charges to be paid at the study-abroad site. Students are responsible for purchasing their own plane ticket and, in many cases, meals. Often this means that part of the expected family contribution is used towards these costs rather than for tuition. For help sorting out who pays what and how, a visit to the Financial Aid Office is often advisable.